Hour 1: Sheriff Michael L. Johnson
Sheriff Johnson has 29 years of continuous, active experience in law enforcement. He worked through the ranks at city and rural county agencies and served as the City of Anderson Police Chief for nine years before becoming the 23rd Shasta County Sheriff-Coroner. Sheriff Johnson holds all CA POST Certifications, a Bachelor’s Degree in Wildlife Management, Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice, and graduated from the FBI National Academy in Quantico. He is actively involved in the community service organizations, including Anderson Rotary, Youth Violence Prevention Council, Asphalt Cowboys, Children’s Legacy Center and Community Corrections Partnerships.
The members of the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office are committed to improving the quality of life, in partnership with the community we serve, through fair and ethical law enforcement services.
Service with Pride and Excellence
If you have information/tips regarding illegal marijuana grows in Shasta County contact the Marijuana Eradication Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hour 2: "Debt vs Spending Reform" with Phil Kerpen, President of American Commitment
About our guest: Phil Kerpen
Phil Kerpen, a leading free-market policy analyst and advocate in Washington. He was the principal policy and legislative strategist at Americans for Prosperity for over five years. He previously worked at the Free Enterprise Fund, the Club for Growth, and the Cato Institute. Kerpen is also a nationally syndicated columnist, chairman of the Internet Freedom Coalition, and author of the 2011 book Democracy Denied.
Phil Kerpen is the president of American Commitment, dedicated to restoring and protecting the American Commitment to free markets, economic growth, Constitutionally-limited government, property rights, and individual freedom. They engage in critical public policy fights over the size and intrusiveness of government through direct advocacy, strategic policy analysis, and grassroots mobilization. Working with key partners, American Commitment delivers timely, effective public policy research to the broader free-market movement. We are dedicated to restoring and protecting the American Commitment to free markets, economic growth, Constitutionally-limited government, property rights, and individual freedom. https://www.americancommitment.org/
Comprehensive Survey of Voters 55 Plus on Key Healthcare Concerns, Inflation Reduction Act & AARP’s Advocacy Activities
Released by American Commitment
New Poll Shows Vast Majority of Seniors and AARP’s Own Members Disagree with AARP’s Advocacy Activities in View of IRA’s Impact on Older Americans & AARP’s Corporate Financial Relationships
Washington, D.C. — June 1, 2023 — As part of its Commitment to Seniors initiative, American Commitment today released a new national survey conducted among 1,600 likely voters who are 55 and older, including nearly 700 identifying AARP members. The poll was conducted by McLaughlin & Associates from April 23-30, 2023. The survey indicated various concerns voters 55 and older had on healthcare affordability issues, the impacts of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), and AARP’s advocacy initiatives surrounding it in view of its corporate financial relationships.
Key findings on health affordability concerns and impacts of the IRA include:
- Roughly 60% of seniors 55+ and AARP members view health insurance-related costs as the most concerning healthcare affordability issues – above costs for prescription drugs and long-term care.
- Nearly 85% believe Congress should not divert any of the IRA’s Medicare drug savings meant to lower drug costs for seniors to pay for unrelated spending. (Ex: EV tax credits, new ACA subsidies)
- Above 90% believe the Inflation Reduction Act’s (IRA) Medicare drug savings should be passed on directly to individual seniors in Medicare.
- Over 80% are concerned the IRA will lead to a loss in new cutting-edge medicines and cures to treat chronic and rare diseases.
- Just 14% believe the IRA’s Medicare changes will decrease seniors’ drug costs, while over half believe the changes will likely end up increasing drug costs.
Key findings on AARP’s advocacy activities and financial relationships:
- Roughly 85% are concerned that over half of AARP’s operating revenue ($1 billion) comes from royalties, the majority of which is from a single corporation, UnitedHealthcare.
- Nearly 90% believe AARP should not have supported the IRA after discovering it diverted some Medicare drug savings to pay for unrelated spending and tax breaks.
- Close to 90% are concerned about AARP earning billions in royalties over several years from UnitedHealthcare while lobbying on similar issues like Medicare.
- Almost 80% are concerned about AARP’s status as a non-partisan entity in view of its events and petition drives on the IRA and drug pricing debates almost exclusively being focused on Democrats.
- Some 74% of 55+ seniors and 63% of AARP members consider the nearly 5% royalty AARP receives from AARP-UnitedHealthcare policies a “junk fee” similar to what many in Congress want to ban.
“The total disconnect between the priorities of AARP and seniors shows that AARP advocates on behalf of its corporate partners and its own bottom line, period,” said Phil Kerpen, President of American Commitment. “AARP has abused its reputation to advance public policies seniors clearly do not support, while ignoring the top concerns of seniors, because those concerns implicate AARP's principal revenue source: UnitedHealth."
"Perhaps the most alarming aspect of this poll is that AARP's own membership echoes these data points," said Jim McLaughlin, President and Partner of McLaughlin & Associates. "It is more apparent than ever that older Americans, including AARP members, disagree with the so-called 'seniors advocacy' organization's policy positions. The question now becomes whether AARP will put older Americans' priorities first by abandoning its corporate ties with the nation's largest health insurer, UnitedHealthcare, or continue to advocate for liberal policies like the Inflation Reduction Act that seniors and its members are concerned about."
Poll results can be found on the website of our Commitment to Seniors project:
- Full Poll Toplines
- Full Poll Presentation
- AARP Members Only Poll Toplines
- AARP Members Only Poll Presentation
For a comprehensive analysis of the financial relationship between AARP and UnitedHealthcare, please see this report by Juniper Research: “How AARP Puts Profits over Patients—And Principles”
American Commitment is dedicated to restoring and protecting our nation’s commitment to free markets, economic growth, Constitutionally-limited government, property rights, and individual freedom. American Commitment engages in critical public policy fights over the size and intrusiveness of government through direct advocacy, strategic policy analysis, and grassroots mobilization. Visit us online at www.AmericanCommitment.org.
McLaughlin & Associates is a national survey research and strategic services company whose personnel have played a key role in assisting successful organizations in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and Latin America. McLaughlin & Associates specializes in public opinion research, media planning and buying services, and strategic consulting services. More about McLaughlin & Associates can be found online at wwww.mclaughlinonline.com
Here’s the recent piece from The Hill discussing the survey…